Saturday, February 20, 2010

Are You Grace-Full?

What does the word mean? From the 1828 Edition of Webster's Dictionary, grace is defined as a blessing, gratuity, unmerited love and favor, privilege and virtue. The Latin word is Gratia, as in gratis or gratuity. Some say Grace before meals to thank their provider for their blessings. It's pretty clear; grace is something we give to someone, a gift. Interestingly, the Greek word for grace is "Charis" which means "gift."

So, if we are "grace-full" it must mean we are filled up with the ability to give grace to others. Sometimes, I'm not very graceful. If you've read some of my previous blogs, you already know that! When things are going my way I can be graceful. When I'm around people I like I'm graceful. There are other times I'm not. Here are a few examples of those circumstances:

  • A corporate entity that values it profits more than its customers. A recent visit to a corporate dental group assigned to me under my insurance plan is an example. Their "corporate policy" required me to undergo a series of expensive unnecessary services. I was told that if I didn't subject myself to these procedures they wouldn't serve me in the future! I don't have grace for people and organizations that try to increase their profits at my expense.
  • Religious leaders that build their fortunes by deception. A friend told me a story of attending a retirement party for an elderly preacher. My friend asked the preacher if he would do anything different given the chance to redo his career. The preacher said, "Yes, I'd get me a white linen suit, arrange a series of religious meetings and tell the participants that God told me to tell them to give me all their money!" Enough said.
  • People with a victim mentality that blame others for their problems. Refusing to take responsibility for their mistakes, bad decisions or inappropriate behavior and, instead, blaming family, friends, employers and others for their misfortunes are the character traits of victims. I was one for many years of my life. I blamed my mother, father, bosses and anyone else I could find for my failures and anger. I minimized my inappropriate behavior and magnified the bad behavior of others. I judged others by their actions but wanted people to judge me by my intentions. I hate seeing me in others!


Many of our life experiences have filled our hearts with wounds and hurts. We can offer human grace to a certain depth of our hearts but then we hit the rocks at the bottom! We can't be grace-full on our own strength. If we could, this planet would be filled with peace, harmony and love.

The Bible says Jesus came filled with grace and truth. His grace-full death on the cross was his "Charis" (gift) to all mankind. Only when we accept Him as our Lord and Savior, can we access His grace and become supernaturally grace-full!

No comments:

Post a Comment