Monday, August 31, 2009

Do As I Say, Not As I do

We hear a lot about the "tone at the top" these days. In discussions of business, politics or church, the character of leaders is often made public in the media. What we've come to understand is that not all leaders do as they say. Some CEOs promote a code of conduct but backdate documents to their advantage. Most political leaders criticize the behavior of other politicians and then cover up or justify their own similar behavior. Some church pastors criticize other pastors and, yet, live with sin in their own lives.

Despite ethical codes of conduct and Biblical standards of behavior, we like to do what we like to do! Oops! I included you and I with the visible ones. It's time to be honest. I know the right things to do. Sometimes, I just don't want to do them! I don't want you to know that, however, because I think I could lose the high regard I believe you have for me! If I can tell everyone what is wrong with the world then maybe I can change it, myself excluded of course. Hopefully, I will be remembered in history as a person that did good, even though I wasn't! Silly, isn't it?

Hypocritical behavior only produces temporary change. Rules made by people for the purpose of controlling or manipulating others have no lasting effects. Only the demonstration of genuine, good character can have leave a positive legacy for others. In the movie Gladiator, General Maximus said it clearly. He stirred his men to demonstrate "strength and honor" by this phrase, "What you do here today will echo throughout eternity." Then, he did what he said!

No comments:

Post a Comment