Thursday, August 27, 2009

Caring and Compassion vs. Judgment

I have to admit it. Sometimes I have little compassion for others. No, most of the time I don't! I want to, but the things in my heart get in the way. Take people that are suffering, for example, financially, physically or in other ways. Financially because they've lived beyond their means for years or physically because they've not taken care of their bodies. Or when they've lived a lie or made stupid decisions that have brought hurtful consequences. I struggle with caring and having compassion for these people. My natural tendency is to judge them, at least in my mind. How about you?

I don't know about you, but I usually end up feeling guilty about my judgments of others, about my lack of compassion. Guilt comes mostly because I do or have done the same things! Worse than being a hypocrite, I know my judgments can affect the ability of other persons to grow beyond their faults. I also know what I sow, I reap!

My mother, for example, lived in fear most of the later years of her life. Fear is high on the list of items I judged quickly and I spoke about her fear often. One day someone rebuked me for my condemning words. This person told me that change could only happen when I stopped judging her with my words. I stopped and she began to change! Not only that, I began (I said began!) to judge others less often.

For change to happen in our lives, caring and compassion must go beyond tolerance of others faults. Our actions must line up with our heart motives. Our heart motives can only change by making change a priority and by seeking divine counsel and assistance. Seeking revelation of God's words in the Holy Bible, meditating on scriptures, seeking instruction from seasoned mentors and developing relationships with other like-minded persons provide a framework for change. Whether in business or in our personal lives, our ability to care and have compassion for others is a crucial building block in developing our ethics for success!

No comments:

Post a Comment