Saturday, April 3, 2010

Got Respect?

I remember a sound bite from a Rodney Dangerfield monologue that went something like, "I ain't got no respect." Most of us desire respect and recognition from others. Often in our society, we're looking for recognition for what we do. Not many will admit this but our achievements are often more for our own benefit than they are for the benefit of those we serve, like our employers, clients, family and friends. Wanting to achieve isn't wrong, but there is more to the story.

When I started my career, my objective was to be the best at what I did. Throughout the years, I always worked to be number one although I failed many times. I wanted to be recognized for what I achieved. Although I didn't realize it at the time, my desire to achieve came from a source of low self-esteem and deep feelings of inadequacy. Achievement was for my benefit, mine alone.

Only in my later years did I realize that real achievement comes from serving others well. When we lay aside our human needs for recognition and respect and focus on serving others in our work and personal lives, we get respect for who we are, not just what we do.

I've often observed the crew of the garbage truck that serves our home. When temperatures are freezing, they ride on the back of that truck and eagerly pick up my trash. In sweltering heat, they carefully pick up each piece of garbage that accidentally falls to the ground. If I forget to put the garbage out, they cheerfully ring my doorbell and remind me. I have great respect for who these men are!

Now it's time for some introspection. Here are some questions that are key to getting respect from others. Try to answer these questions as honestly as you can:

1. When other people tell you about what they're doing in their work or personal lives, are you more interested in their circumstances or yours? 2. When your serve others, is your focus more on what you get out of it or on how your service benefits them? 3. In your work, your church projects or chatting with a neighbor over the fence, are you concerned more about them or about you? 4. Do you spend more time thinking about yourself than about others? 5. When visiting with co-workers, family or friends, do you spend more time talking about yourself than you do listening to them? 6. When trying to get others to change bad behavior, do you see things from their point of view or do you throw the book of rules at them? 7. Do you consider yourself better than others?

I don't know about you, but I have a long way to go! If you dare, post a comment and tell readers how you did!

No comments:

Post a Comment