Monday, October 19, 2009

Try, Try and Try Again

I started a new direction in my training activities today with the launch of 15 weeks of webcasts. Having performed 5 0r 6 webcasts in the past, and having taught live seminars for over 30 years, I thought this would be a simple transition. While my debut was not bad, I failed to allocate time effectively and ended up very rushed to finish on time. This caused my listeners to feel they didn't receive complete coverage of my subject.

Perhaps you've been there. Thinking you could meet the requirements of a task, you finish to find out your performance was less than perfect. How we respond in these circumstances tells a lot about our progress to maturity. I'm still working on getting there!

I have known some who don't take criticism well. Being presented with information that indicates they are less than perfect, their reaction is often blame shifting, denial of facts and even anger. On the other hand, I've worked with many people who welcome constructive criticism and use it to improve.

In my younger years, I used to tell critics to keep their mouths shut. "I'm my own worst critic," I would say. That was probably true since my performance orientation always drove me to seek perfection. The truth is I did need the constructive criticism, and still do! My substandard performances still make me feel bad but, in my later years, I've learned to use the information to be better next time. Using the input of others as we try, try and try again not only helps us do a thing better, it is a mark of maturity.

Are you still trying? Post a comment and share your self-assessment!

No comments:

Post a Comment