Saturday, October 10, 2009

If I Don't Toot My Horn No One Will

I spent most of my life trying to make my way. I was aggressive, self-confident and, frankly, prideful. I was proud of what I had accomplished and I was quick to tell you so. I believed that nothing good happened to me unless I made it happen. That worked well until one day I awoke to find all I thought I had slipped through my fingers into failure.

Not once but several times in my life I got caught up in what some call the rat race. None of those situations succeeded. While we should work hard to achieve our life goals, we must be aware that our original intent and purposes can take a back seat to satisfying our personal needs for achievement. This is the test of success!

Our achievements satisfy a need for recognition and acceptance inherent in many of us. It's much like a narcotic or alcohol; it makes us feel good and we want more! Soon, achieving becomes our goal instead of what we set out to do. Everything and everyone around us blurs as we set our sites on the next accomplishment.

People that behave as I once did aren't hard to spot. No matter what they say, every project, every relationship and every action is calculated to benefit themselves. Self-aggrandizement, self-promotion and self-centeredness are words that describe this behavior.

Sometimes this behavior is subtle and hard to spot. The person it controls is often at the center of the "now" thing, often is seen associating with higher ups and appears very popular. Many fail to discern the true heart motives of such persons and are caught up in the feigned enthusiasm and success of self-promoters only to be used and discarded. Once the ant enters the spider's web, only pain will follow!

Beware of the unethical behavior of the self-promoter! From such, flee! Post a comment and tell us about your experiences with such persons.

No comments:

Post a Comment