Saturday, March 13, 2010

Are We Becoming a Nation of Liars and Deceivers?

I'm fed up with the politics of compromise, deal-making, party agendas, hypocrisy, lies and deception. The art of politics has become never answering "yes" or "no" to a question. Party lines have divided this country and each of us, our children and grandchildren will pay financially, morally and socially...unless our "blinders" are removed.

I think it was Hitler who said, "Tell a lie long enough and the people will believe it as the truth." Sad to say, but the perceptions of many people of this nation has become their truth. Politicians, business leaders, news reporters, ministers, blue collar workers and, yes, even you and me, have made our perceptions our god.

Attending a church that split years ago, I witnessed the offense of the senior pastor produce lies about the circumstances in his later books. He believed his perception to be truth. He has no pulpit now.

I observed the president of a developing company nearly destroy it because he perceived anyone with different perceptions to be his enemy. His life became a lie. His bad life experiences were his truth and he feared that these experiences would be repeated. What he greatly feared has now come upon him and he is about to lose that which he created.

CEOs of investment funds, state attorney generals, senators and members of congress, pastors of large churches, White House press secretaries, presidents, treasury secretaries have lied and deceived the public. For some, there appear to be no consequences on earth; for others there are.

But it's easy to be "the pot calling the kettle black." It's easy for me to defend my perceptions by pointing at the faults of others. The question I have to ask frequently of myself is "What is my reason for offense?" Is it about me or them? My reasons should be more about the future and well-being of others than about my being offended by their behavior. My motives should be to see their lives changed for the better, not my being right.

A few minutes ago, I received a call from someone about an old situation in which I confronted a liar and deceiver. I realized I had given up on the person's behavior ever changing and that I just wanted him punished! Here's the truth: God's ways are not ours! He has made a way for the worst to be made clean through Jesus Christ! After all, He saved a wretch like me!

No comments:

Post a Comment