Saturday, November 14, 2009

Valuing People

I spend a lot of time in hotels and airports while traveling for my work. A lot of the time my mind is on an upcoming event, meeting my deadlines or just getting to my destination. People pass me by and often their presence doesn't even register with me.

The custodian removing trash from the bins, the airline agent behind the ticket counter, the maid in the hallway, the groundskeeper sweeping cigarette butts from the sidewalks or the businessperson hurrying down a concourse all have value. They have value in what they do but, most of all, they have value as people.

The problem is many people have lost sight of their value. Life can be hard and it's not often we have another person express their appreciation of who we are. Telling another person what you like about them is an interesting experience. I had that opportunity last week with a number of young accountants in one of my seminars.

After I finished expressing my appreciation for each one individually, one of the men shared he realized it was time to pay attention to some of the things he needed to change about himself to be a better person. Another man shared he hadn't realized a major strength of his personality. A young woman had tears in her eyes as I spoke my recognition of attributes she longed for others to see in her.

Whether they admit it or not, deep inside everyone wants others to like and appreciate them. We have the opportunity to give bouquets to every person we meet! Post a comment and share an example from your experience of offering appreciation to others.

No comments:

Post a Comment