Monday, September 21, 2009

The Other Person's Point of View

In previous blogs, we've discussed how a person's heart motives, life experiences and learned behaviors affect their ethics and decision-making. Generally, we decide to do what we think is right. We see and interpret facts and circumstances through rose-colored glasses, so to speak.

When my wife and I have had differences of opinion (there have been more than a few!), she has said that we're just looking at different ends of an elephant. You remember the analogy: Several sight-impaired persons holding on to different parts of an elephant (a leg, its tail, its trunk, an ear, etc.) each saw the elephant differently. Same elephant but different views. Our personal views are often derived from what we're holding on to!

I recently found my self in a conflict with a counter party to a contract. In fact, the other party terminated the contract because they believed I had violated its terms. I believed, on the other hand, that I had been careful not to violate the contract terms. After a day or so, I realized that my evaluation of compliance had been solely from my point of view. Looking at the situation from the point of view of the other party, I could see where my behavior could be considered a violation of terms. It was not my intent to violate the terms but I could see from the other person's view how I did.

I felt badly that I had made a serious mistake. Unfortunately, there was no chance to repair the damage. In these situations we can either get mad, sad or glad. I've decided to be glad for the increase in wisdom this situation has provided me! Sometimes we have to learn ethical behavior the hard way! Post a comment and share your learning experiences.

No comments:

Post a Comment