Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Avoid Bad Company

The first time I started a CPA firm was over 30 years ago, yet I still remember the hard learned lessons. After developing a relationship with an atypical banker, I found myself on the receiving end of a number of questionable client referrals. Because I needed the cash flow, I accepted a number of clients that I knew had less than high integrity. They, in turn, referred their friends of similar character. From that list of clients, two went to jail for fraud and one sued me for a large penalty resulting from a wage and hour audit!

From chapter 1, verses 8 through 19 in the Book of Proverbs, we are warned to stay away from persons who have questionable character. We may think we can prevent their unacceptable behavior from affecting us, but that is often not the case. We may think our stand for integrity will cause them to change, but their heart attitudes usually prevent that from happening. Many well-meaning individuals have reached out to befriend unethical people and become just like them!

A man I met years ago told me he was called to "hold hands" with large number of people. He meant, of course, that he felt he was to develop business and personal relationships with a lot of people. He went on to say that there were only a few of those people, however, he was to "get in bed with." He went on to explain that only a few people could be trusted in close, personal relationships and that it was those long-term relationships he sought.

The lesson in all of this is that relationships with "good company" brings more good company. Good company helps us grow and prosper. Avoiding bad company can save our lives and our businesses!

No comments:

Post a Comment